Bootstrap is a framework that helps you make responsive websites. It includes HTML and CSS based design templates for common user interface components like dropdowns, buttons, typography, tabs, tables and for other navigations etc. So lets learn how to use bootstrap in our project.
Responsive means when the size of the window or screen changes the layout of the website still looks good. To incorporate bootstrap into your application there are two things we can do.
- You can either import the bootstrap into our code
- You can download a sample project to make it your way.
In this tutorial we’ll provide you step by step instructions with proper code snippets to give you a better view point on how to use bootstrap.
How to use Bootstrap
As we’ve talked about that we can import the bootstrap into our code. So, if you want to import into your code there are two ways to import it.
- The first one is downloading the bootstrap and link it locally
- Either Way get the link from the internet
- Currently in my case I’m linking from the internet. To do that just navigate to the getbootstrap.com website and copy the bootstrap CDN code to your project.
This way we can add bootstrap to our project with just simple and easy navigation. But make sure that you’ll paste the code into your header tag of Html code.
Now if we save this and open up our index.html again. You’ll notice the styling change in the website. That is because the bootstrap already has some CSS built in which makes header, paragraph and all the styling a bit different.
Download the Code for Development
Downloading Bootstrap 4 libraries
- The second way is by downloading the compiled files to work locally offline or without the Internet, you can go directly by clicking on this link.
Unzip and we must have two folders: CSS and js in addition to a list of files, these files will sometimes be different from the version you download. Also note that each file is duplicated in normal and min. The difference is that the min versions are optimized to load faster, while the normal versions we can edit the CSS code. We can use either version without problems.
How to integrate bootstrap 4 libraries into a project
As we already have the CSS and js folders at hand, the next step is to take them to the project to be edited, said project must be hosted in the htdocs folder of the local XAMPP server. For example, we are going to copy and paste them into a main folder called project.
Linking CSS and JS files in an html document
What we have left now is to use the sublime text 3 code editor or another editor. To link Bootstrap css and js files to an html document and check its operation.
Create a new index.html document and link the bootstrap.css library in the head with the link tag and enter the file path in the href, then enter the other js libraries in script tags with the file path in the src as appropriate at the end of the bodysuit
But if we want it we can always override whatever bootstrap has in our own CSS. Now, the thing that makes bootstrap responsive is it’s 12 columns grid. Documentation can sometimes be confusing.
What i meant actually by that is bootstrap divides a web page into rows and columns. Each row is divided into 12 columns. You can learn bootstrap other functionalities as well.
An element, say a paragraph, an image or a header can take up any number of these columns. You can also have multiple elements in one row. An element can also take up all 12 rows or 1 column or similar.
No no matter what the screen size is it’s broken up into 12 columns. So, you can specify how many columns you want for each element on a small, medium, large or extra large screen.
Bootstrap Components List
There are a lot of components that bootstrap provides us to build or create navigational components either menu or alerts that helps us visualize our data more perfectly. We’ve listed some of the components that how you’ll learn bootstrap
Some of the components are mentioned below:
- Dropdown menus
- Button Groups
- Button Drop down menus
- Breadcrumbs and many more
Advantages of Using Bootstrap
There are several advantages of bootstrap. Let’s look at some of the advantages.
- the support of responsive website design: This is amongst one of the greatest advantages of using bootstrap because it’s faster and much easier. As it automatically adapts the different screen sizes.
- It saves a lot of time and effort. (Instead of writing code from scratch bootstrap uses blocks of code that you can use and customized based on your project requirements). There are a lot of websites that offer free and paid bootstrap themes that saves even more development time.
- Consistency (As it is developed by twitter to encourage consistency across their internal tools by giving their developers a centralized development code base. Since all the developers are working on the same code base so the end result would be consistent.)
- Customizable (Bootstrap is highly customizable, if you are using only a few features of bootstrap then you can customize to download only those features using the bootstrap customize page.)
- Support as it is the most popular framework it has a very large community base and excellent documentation. Bootstrap excellent documentation examples and demos help the developer learn bootstrap quickly even if you are new to it. If you’ve ever run to an issue you will usually get help quickly and easily from the vast online community and web forums that are available.
In this post we’ve discussed how to use bootstrap in simple and easy steps without getting into much effort. This will help you learn bootstrap within no time. If you want a similar post then do let us know, we’ll be waiting for your worthy feedback.
Bootstrap 4 Cheat Sheet
Read our article about bootstrap 4 cheat sheet to get best use of bootstrap classes.
If you find this article helpful then do let us know we’ll be glad to hear it from you.